Search by Recipe

Monday, January 11, 2010

Gillian's Gluten Free Breadcrumbs Review

Gillian's Gluten Free Breadcrumbs









































When one decides to take the Gluten Free plunge they usually mourn for pizza. Sniffle over decadent cookies. Dream about sinking into fluffy cakes. Bundle themselves up in the memory of a warm, crusty bread slathered with golden butter. And then you have to hunker down and cook dinner. And you think, shit, that ingredient my mother's cursive furled out on all those recipes? That mundane, dry, blasé, goody-two-shoes of a mousy afterthought in your grandmother's meatball recipe, fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, insert tried and true family recipe here. Enter: Gillian's Gluten Free Breadcrumbs.



Okay, so sure. Breadcrumbs are probably not on the top of your list of GF substitute foods you just have to have. I might argue, however, that they're kind of like that kid in your 5th grade class that no one paid much attention to. You know, the kid in the back row, he didn't have the most sparkling personality or the flashiest new shoes but man, when you needed someone to help you with your science homework? He was fricken stellar.

That's our tub o' breadcrumbs.  They'll bring fried chicken back into your life. Pep up your saggy casseroles. And with the right seasonings? They'll make your zucchini sing. Sure, you can use an old piece of GF bread, crumble up some savory waffles. Those are fine for your typical meat dish filler. The difference in Gillian's breadcrumbs is the texture and consistency. These are crispy breadcrumbs which make them ideal for a crispy coating on veggies, in a pasta dish, and have I mentioned fried chicken? Crispy chicken sandwhiches? Lush salads with crunchy little chicken slices? It was a beautiful moment when I bit into my first crispy chicken sandwich. And my breaded, grilled squash dish? Hola!

There are just some dishes that require a different consistency than a soft, dusty smattering of crumbled, bland white rice bread. This is a point in which I will stick to my guns, so help me! May I also take this moment to bemoan the fact that since we have moved across the country I have yet to find a store that carries this product. Luckily, you can buy straight from their website and! it's cheaper than I have seen it retail for. I personally order 5 at a time. No, I'm not a loony hoarder.

So really, what more can I say about Gillian's Gluten Free Breadcrumbs? It's not that they're particularly flavorful (that's not really in a breadcrumb's nature). They don't add an exciting color to the meal, persay (although the golden hue is rather warming). I'm not fulfilling your deepest post GF desire (unless you're trying to make the perfect fried chicken). But searching for ways to eat GF and get on with your life is about a little more than searching out how to make the epitome of GF Flourless Chocolate Cake (but that's really, really important too!). I think it's about getting home from a long day, being able to scan your fridge, rummage through your cabinet and whip up something quick, delicious and safe. Without jumping through fiery culinary hoops to do it. Gillian's GF crumbs help me achieve a sense of normalcy, they open up edible possibilities, they add a new realm to my texture palette. Variety, choice, the option of simplicity. Isn't that what we all want?

Gillian's Foods offers a variety of Wheat/Gluten/Dairy Free products such as plain, Cajun and Italian style breadcrumbs. Check out their yummy desserts and rolls (the cinnamon raisin are my favorite!).

Yummy Dishes With Which To Spread Your GF Breadcrumb Wings 
Gluten Free Goddess - Pesto Zucchini Tomato Gratin (No bread on hand? Gillian's it is!)
Angela's Kitchen - Green Bean Casserole (I'm sure these tidbits would would be lovely)
Celiac Teen - Mom's Chicken Fingers (No cereal? Crunchy crumbs to the rescue!)

5 comments:

  1. They look like they have a great texture! Thanks for linking to me as well =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I've never tried Gillian's bread crumbs. It seems I might be missing out on some crispy, crunchy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Lauren, your blog is superb :)

    Well, Karina, maybe I'll have to make you some of my crispy grilled squash and zucchini. You did let me taste test those Sweet Potato Biscuits, after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried these I've tried Glutino and they were pretty good, how do they compare? I love Udi's bread by the way too!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, you know Anon, I can't recall if I've had Glutino...I believe I've had Ener-G and I wasn't thrilled. It was very...light and powdery? Good for a certain kind of chicken but didn't really add the awesome texture Gillian's does. I'll have to scope out Glutino. And yes! Udi's for the win!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Gluten Free Chops, if you have questions please leave them in the comments so others can contribute to the conversation and learn from the responses. You can direct all other queries to glutenfreechops{at}gmail[dot]com Thanks for your praise, critiques and perspectives!

Related Posts with Thumbnails